Staying Healthy in Los Angeles is as Easy as Eating (Vitamin) A, B and C
Eating well is an important part of boosting your immune system, and in Southern California it's easy to get excellent fruits and vegetables all year long. Buying quality produce doesn't have to cost much, either.
Read on to see what to eat, some places to buy, and how to keep your immune system functioning well with an Upper Cervical chiropractic adjustment in Los Angeles.
And please download my free e-book, Pain Relief the Natural Way: Healing through Upper Cervical Chiropractic.
Important Vitamins For Los Angeles Residents
Why we need it: Vitamin C synthesizes collagen, the structural material for bones, healthy skin, and blood vessels. It can speed recovery from wounds and help battle infections.
If you don't have enough, you can have scaly skin and experience ailments like inflammation of the gums.
- Oranges - 1 medium orange: about 70 mgs per serving
- Kiwi - 1 medium kiwi: about 64 mgs per serving
- Strawberries - ½ cup sliced, fresh: about 49 mgs per serving
- Grapefruit - ½ medium: about 39 mgs per serving
- Tomato - 1 raw, medium: about 17 mgs per serving
- Potato - 1 medium, baked: about 17 mgs per serving
- Red pepper, ½ cup raw: about 95 mgs per serving
- Green pepper, ½ cup raw: About 60 mgs
- Broccoli, cooked ½ cup: 51 mgs
- Brussel Sprouts, cooked ½ cup: 48 mgs
- Cabbage, cooked ½ cup: 28 mgs
- Cauliflower, raw ½ cup: 26 mgs
Why we need it: feeling like your dragging and fatigued? You may need more B vitamins since changing your food into usable energy for your body ranks is one of their primary functions. Proper cell growth is another reason to get the B vitamins that you need in your diet along with neurological functioning.
They're water-soluble so you need them every day.
Sources of B vitamins is a combination of seeds-nuts, fish, and meat.
- B1 - thiamine: sunflower seeds and wheat germ. Pork is also a good source.
- B2 - riboflavin: liver, beef, and mushrooms.
- B3 - niacin: chicken, lentils, and tuna.
- B5 - pantothenic acid: liver, fish, yogurt and avocadoes.
- B6 - pyridoxine: salmon and chickpeas - and potatoes.
- B7 - biotin: salmon, cheese, eggs, and - here it is again - liver.
- B9 - leafy green vegetables, beans, and, yep, liver.
- B12 - cobalamin: meat and dairy products, seafood, and dairy products all contain this important B vitamin.
Why we need it: Vitamin A is important for our vision, strengthening the immune system, and healthy reproduction. It benefits the body's organs including the heart, kidneys, and lungs.
There are two different types of vitamin A: preformed vitamin A and carotenoids.
- Sweet potatoes
- Winter squashes
- Dark, leafy green vegetables
- Bell peppers
Why we need it: Drinking an adequate supply of water helps maintain balance with the body's fluids. In your mouth, staying hydrated helps stimulate saliva production to wash plaque and bacteria from your teeth, reducing the risk of cavaties and gum disease.
All right, water isn't a food, but don't underestimate its importance since water makes up about two-thirds of our body.
Stay hydrated throughout the day.
On occasion slices of lemon and cucumbers or fruit can flavor water and be a healthy alternative to drinking sodas and coffee.
Benefits of drinking enough water include battling fatigue, proper brain function, and a way to reduce the impact of headaches.
Places to Buy Fresh Produce in Southern California
Many well-known stores from Whole Foods to any local grocery store can supply the produce you need. However, here are some notable stores:
- Sprouts - several dozen stores are in California with about 12 or more Sprouts stores found in Los Angeles County. Sprouts often has excellent sale prices and carries quality organic produce.
- Super King Markets - excellent prices and a wide selection of produce. There are several stores within easy driving distance of downtown Los Angeles.
- Farmers Markets - from the original Farmer's Market on Fairfax to the Hollywood Farmers' Market and more.
- Farmers Markets in California, county by county - here's a pdf containing a listing of farmer's markets throughout California. It was current as of October 2018.
What we eat and how we process the foods in our bodies plays a key role in our health.
I do offer supplements to patients who will benefit from them.
But if you've read this blog, you'll know the first step in healthy living is being aligned at the brainstem level.
Stop in my office, let's find out about your diet, whether or not you're properly aligned, and how I may help you achieve optimal health.
Call Truong Upper Cervical Chiropractic Corporation in Los Angeles at (213) 385-3858 and come visit. I'm in the mid-Wilshire area of Los Angeles, just east of the Wiltern Theater.
9:00am - 6:00pm
9:00am - 6:00pm
9:00am - 6:00pm
10:00am - 3:00pm
8:00am - 12:00pm